Follow up to last post

Monday 5 April 2010

Like any new mother, I really wish Yousef came with a detailed manual including a 'troubleshooting' section. Instead, I bought 50 different parenting books, subscribed to every possible baby related website and I often hound all the mothers I know with text messages asking random questions.  When Yousef got a fever a few days back, I made use of my resources.  But I got even more confused. The mothers said it was completely normal for a baby to get a fever while teething.  The books said that fevers are never related to teething.  Lovely.  


After two days of a relatively high fever and a rash that was spreading across his body, it was time to see the Doctor.  It turned out to be a viral infection called Roseola which is quite common and lasts a few days.  Phew!  I guess this time, the books were right (Doctor said the same thing), not to say that I don't value the advice and tips from the moms out there.  Which is why I'm writing this, to let the other moms out there know that a fever (over 38) has nothing to do with teething, so if this happens to your baby, please take him to see a doctor. 


According to the Doc, for the first couple of years, babies get on average 6-8 infections, each lasting usually about 2-3 weeks, so I'm now mentally preparing myself.









No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!