The best ideas are always the simplest

Thursday 8 April 2010

I'm a total genius.  Really.  


This week my son has learnt how to crawl (well sort of, it's what a friend of mine calls 'the wounded soldier').  The problem with this is that he is still very clumsy, so after a few 'steps' he collapses in some way or another.  This is not good when the floors of the house aren't carpeted!  He also loves to wonder into the areas that I try to barricade off, the little stubborn gremlin that he is.  It's been quite exhausting having to follow him around making sure he doesn't injure himself.  


Also, I like the look of our home.  It's still far from complete but I think it's got style if I do say so myself.   The idea of child-proofing it bothers me.  I don't mind filling in the electric sockets or putting dangerous products out of his reach, but I refuse to put padding on the table corners or any of that stuff.  


I have a better idea.  Instead of baby proofing the house, why not baby proof.. the baby?  Ahhhh... how you ask?  Very simple.  A mini helmet with a chin guard.  That's it.  I initially thought of creating an outfit out of bubble wrap, but I thought this will hinder his motor skill development, plus my husband would want to 'pop him' all day.  Then I thought of a helmet made out of diapers, but that might offend the little guy.  Seriously, a mini helmet like those hockey ones with a padded strap along the chin. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?  (if they have, can you please let me know where I can buy one of each color?)  That way, I can set him free to explore while I go about my business.  Of course I wont leave him unattended (in case my mother reads this), but I don't have to follow him around either.  See this is not just for selfish reasons.  The boy wants to feel independence.  He is finally mobile only to find his mother hovering over him the whole time.  This is the same reason we leave home to go to college!  


Pure genius.





1 comment: