I'm back!!

Sunday 12 December 2010

I feel awful, I can't believe its been over two months since my last post.  I wish I had some super exciting story to explain my absence but it's simply been a mixture of preoccupation and laziness.  But that's it, I'm back. Promise. Moving On.


I just finished watching an episode of Gossip Girl, and I really need to know if I'm totally abnormal or if there are others like me out there.  I'm sure I will piss off a few people with what I'm about to say, but guys... how stupid is this show?! 
And no, it's not only because I can't stand Serena van der Woodsen and the way she mumbles.  The storyline keeps spiraling into silly, cheesy, childish and incestuous plots that can compete with the Bold and the Beautiful easily.  And what pisses me off even more is that I keep watching.  I shake my head and look at my watch occasionally, but then I keep watching!  Ok, so the fashion is absolutely fabulous, I would give my right arm to have Serena or Blair or even Vanessa's wardrobes, and yes... Chuck Bass is HOT, but really this show is a joke.  


Here are some reasons why G.G. should just stop.
1. The plot lines seemed ever so slightly acceptable, in terms of how silly they were (not with how outrageous their lifestyles were!) when they were in high school, but now they are in college.  Let's just say that if I were part of the Columbia or NYU faculty I would resign immediately for the embarrassing association.
2. Do these people suffer from amnesia?  They can't possibly fall in love with a different character, who was in love with their ex and their best friend's ex each season.  I confused myself just typing that!
3. I like hearing about the rich and famous like most women do, to get a glimpse into their glamorous lives and daydream. But if I ever have a daughter who thought anything on this show is close to being reality or appropriate or cool I would have to send her to boarding school... in North Korea or someplace far far away.
4. Each character faces about 15 scandals a season, yet it doesn't seem to affect their ever so important 'social standing', strange?
5. Did I mention how annoying I think Serena is with her voice, and her childish pout?  I was shocked by Blake Lively's performance in The Town, the girl does actually have talent.  
6. The only characters that were meant to be somewhat normal, i.e. the Humphreys who lived in frowned upon Brooklyn, ended up being the weirdest of the bunch!  Why is the dad always hanging out in cashmere sweaters with a very Ken-like hair do?
7. Where are these bars in New York that let all these minors drink like there's no tomorrow?  I remember when I was in college, being carded if I even walked past a bar in New York.  


I also want to point out 1 thing.  I'm not going on about this because I'm some prude who doesn't think teenagers should be shown having sexual relationships on TV.  Actually, there's a British show called Skins, which I'm a fan of.  Skins is also about high school kids, ok sure, they are not from the fancy Upper East Side, but they are teenagers and the show is very controversial.  The show covers all sorts of topics that include tonnes of sex, drugs and drama.  It just worries me that a show like Gossip Girl is such a hit, especially with teenage girls.  


I came across these ads a while ago, they're quite old actually.  They really created a buzz at the time, a lot of people found them offensive, a lot of parents complained, etc.  I thought they were quite clever.  Too bad the show isn't clever at all.  Xoxo!




  

1 comment:

  1. i TOTALLY agreee yet i still continue watching too! i don't know what it is!

    ReplyDelete