Do Carrie On

Wednesday 16 January 2013

I just watched the first episode of The Carrie Diaries which has taken up Gossip Girl's time slot on the CW Network.  If any guys are reading this, you can tune out now.  Yes Carrie as in Carrie Bradshaw.  This show is based on the younger, highschool Carrie, back when she was living in Connecticut.  I wasn't sure what to expect and since the last SATC film, I was wary of anything that might mess with my love of the show.  




What to expect if you decide to watch it:


  • It has nothing to do with Sex and the City other than that AnnaSophia Robb is great at revealing a few, subtle charactertics of the beloved Carrie that just put a little smile on my face as I was watching, including an introduction to her eclectic fashion sense, although of course not as refined here.  She also wore a gold necklace with a delicate 'C'. :)
  • The other SATC link is the love affair with New York City, which is enough to remind us of the show we all loved so much. 
  • Otherwise The Carrie Diaries is a show of its own, and let me point out that it's a TEEN DRAMA.  So think more along the lines of 90210 and Gossip Girl than anything HBO would choose to air.  While it's by the same producers of GG, thank god it seems to have little more in common.  The Carrie Diaries seems to be a little more charming and down to earth.  But again, it's a teen drama, so dont expect any deep plot or smart sexual humour.  There was one sexual joke which made me cringe, the writers will need to work on that aspect or even better, just let it go.
  • One thing that I felt was done really well was the nod to the 80's.  The soundtrack is great.  And little touches like how she has those koala bear clips in her bedroom were just enough.  And yes, the fashion is 80's influenced too, although I think the producers tried to tone that down just so that's not all you saw when you were watching.


I think I will give this show the benefit of the doubt, if for nothing else for the fact that Sarah Jessica Parker approves of the show herself.  After all, it can't be worse than Gossip Girl.


Images: TV.com, Mail Online, The CW

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!